From the Blog
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
If you can't do EVERYTHING, start with these three!
Keep Your Garden Beautiful
It’s always a good week to do something good for the community or to support a cause that’s important to you. Here are a few opportunities happening this week. Keep Waco
Beautiful is holding their Spring COMPOST, TOPSOIL, and MULCH Sale tomorrow at the Farmer’s Market. They are selling organic compost, topsoil, and mulch provided by their partners, Living Earth - Waco! All products are $4.00 a bag. The sale will be from 9am-3pm....or until they run out! All Living Earth products are made from recycled yard waste from WACO. All proceeds benefit Keep Waco Beautiful.
Get Interview Ready
The East Waco Library is hosting a couple of Job Hunting Workshops. The first one, Tomorrow from 10 to noon, will focus on resume writing and how to use the work in Texas Website. Then on Thursday from 5 to 7, there will be a workshop on interview skills. Both workshops are free and open to the
Shoot for a Cure
The American Cancer Society is holding its annual “Shooting for a Cure” skeet shoot tomorrow morning. Registration starts at 9 and the shooting begins at 10. Round up all your skeet shooting buddies and head out to Weber’s Shooting Range on the I-35 frontage road in Troy. Ammo is provided and loaner guns are available. All shooters will receive breakfast, beverages, and lunch after the event. Tickets start at $100 per person and can be purchased on the 2020 Waco Cattle Baron’s Ball website.
This week in the news
⟶ Thu Dec 9 thru Thu Dec 9
Good Neighbor Waco, a Christian non-profit organization, is seeking singles or married couples to serve an average of 7-10 hours per week in exchange for partially subsidized rent. Resident workers live in private quarters on site. A portion of their service hours involves hosting groups using the community rooms at 2301 Colcord Ave. and participating in household upkeep or administrative work. With their remaining service hours resident workers are encouraged to create and run neighborhood projects in their areas of interest including the arts, urban gardening, community engagement, education, worship, etc. Applicants would commit to 9-12 months of live-in service, to begin June, July, or August 1 (with specific dates and roles to be discussed during the application process). Residents must be able to live and work well with others and contribute meaningfully to community living. Applicants over 21 are preferred, although exceptions may be made. Good Neighbor does not discriminate by race, gender, gender expression, ethnicity, nationality, age or sexual identity. Although we expect settlers and board members to be Christian in order to follow our mission, activities at Good Neighbor are not restricted by religion.
For more information and an application please contact [email protected]
Jobs & Job Related
- Waco Foundation / Administrative Assistant & Receptionist (full-time). Provides administrative support critical to the foundation's mission while also serving as the welcoming lead presence. Pay commensurate with education and experience, with health coverage and eligibility for retirement program. Position description is at the link above. Interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume detailing work history and fit, and references to [email protected], with the subject line “Administrative Assistant.” Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. (posted 11/19)
- Immediate part-time and seasonal needs at Mission Waco Meyer Center and My Brother's Keeper MBK:https://missionwaco.org/about-us/job-openings/Afternoon Monitor – My Brother’s Keeper Shelter – Part-time – Posted: 11/13/2021 Seasonal December-AprilFront Desk – Meyer Center – Part-time – Posted: On-going – As Needed Revised 11.14.21HMIS/Admin/Shuttle Monitor – My Brother’s Keeper Shelter – Part-time – Posted: May 20, 2021up to 24 hrs/wk availablePerfect opportunity for graduate students or retired citizens of Waco.Please follow instructions for applying found on Mission Waco website: https://missionwaco.org/about-us/job-openings
- Education Service Center Region 12 has four job openings: School Nurse Grant Coordinator, School-Based Nurses (multiple), Counselor (part-time), and Project Support Specialist (part-time)
School Openings: https://jobs.esc12.net/ (posted 10/15)
- Greater Waco Legal Services / Staff Attorney - Medical-Legal Partnership/Generalist - Full-time. The new attorney will join other staff partners in their growing nonprofit law firm. The staff attorney will provide direct legal representation; provide leadership and management of our Medical-Legal Partnership with Waco Family Medicine; practice law in practice areas as determined by experience and interest, needs of MLP patient-clients and community, and fiscal sustainability. Strong possibilities include (but are not limited to) family, immigration, guardianship, benefits and income maintenance, Social Security/disability, wills, estate planning, and landlord-tenant law. For more information, contact Kent McKeever, managing attorney partner, [email protected]. (10/13)
- Greater Waco Legal Services / Partner for Communications and Community Partnerships - Full-time. The ideal candidate will provide creative and collaborative leadership through management of communications and community partnerships that furthers the GWLS mission. For more information, contact Kent McKeever, managing attorney partner, [email protected]. (10/13)
Waco Family Medicine / Institutional and Program Coordinator - Full-time; JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for day-to-day administration of all Waco Family Medicine Graduate Medical Education programs under the guidance of program directors and designated institutional official. Ensure resident and fellow physicians remain on track to meet all requirements for graduation and certification. Maintain critical files and information. Ensure all ACGME accreditation and applicable specialty board requirements are met. For more information, click here. (posted 9/28)
Historic Waco Foundation / Executive Director - HWF seeks a dynamic and energetic leader that will work closely with a passionate and supportive Board of Directors to advance the goals of the organization. The executive director will oversee the maintenance and operation of three interpreted historic house museums — Earle-Napier-Kinnard House, East Terrace House, and McCulloch House — and serve as an advocate for history, heritage, and preservation within the community at-large. (Posted 9/10)
Family Abuse Center / Full-time Bilingual Rural Legal Advocate - The Legal Advocate serves as a liaison between FAC and the legal system, assisting residential and non-residential clients as they navigate through the criminal justice and civil court process and access various crime victim assistance programs. Successful applicants will have experience working in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence or the legal field. (Posted 9/20)
- Keep Waco Beautiful / Executive Director - Keep Waco Beautiful seeks an Executive Director to oversee all operations, functions and activities while facilitating its growth and development which will allow it to play a significant role in the Waco Community in the future. The Executive Director is responsible for implementing the strategic direction of the board to its members, volunteers, and to the community. An excellent Executive Director is an influential manager with the ability to lead and motivate the organization towards the realization of its mission.Please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] (Posted 8/23)
- Lake Shore Baptist Church / Pastor (Full-time) – Lake Shore Baptist is seeking a full-time pastor who has the spiritual depth, skills, and experience needed to inspire, lead, and unify our congregation. Lake Shore is a welcoming and affirming community of Christians who are attempting to discover, articulate, and embody the meaning of the Gospel in the world today. A Master of Divinity or higher degree from an accredited theological seminary is required. (Posted 8/13) For details on how to apply, please visit https://lsbcwaco.org/
pastor-search/. (Posted 8/13)
- McLennan Community College / Social Media & Communications Specialist (Full-time) – The Department of Marketing & Communications at McLennan Community College is looking for an individual that assists the department and college in disseminating information about the college to the campus community, media, and the public. Also, this position researches, writes, proofreads, and edits content for various medias. They will curate and manage the college’s social media accounts including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube. For more information or other jobs at MCC, see MCC’s Job Board. (posted 8/12)
- STARRY / Director of Fatherhood Services Bell and McLennan Counties, TX (Full-Time) - The Director of Fatherhood Services will manage the contractual obligations for the Prevention and Early Intervention Division of DFPS for the Fatherhood EFFECT Program. This role oversees outcomes and outputs as prescribed by the Fatherhood Contract and serves as a supervisor for staff meeting those expectations. The Director of Fatherhood Services may hold a very small caseload working with father or male caregivers with a youth between the ages of 0-17. The Director role, or equivalent position, will be the primary program contact and will be responsible for program oversight, services, and supervision for the Program.
Family Abuse Center / Full-time Bilingual Parent Educator will implement the PAT model while engaging with families in both English and Spanish. Utilizing the PAT Foundational Curriculum the Parent Educator partners, facilitates and reflects with families. Education: Bachelor’s Degree in child development, early childhood education, social work, psychology, Neuroscience or a related field required.
Family Abuse Center / Resident Advocate - Family Abuse Center is hiring a part-time Resident Advocate. The primary responsibilities of the Resident Advocates (RA) are to provide crisis intervention and referrals on the 24-hour crisis line and provide resident assistance to those in the 24-hour shelter. To apply send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]
The Art of Relevance by Nina Simon
March 17, 2020 • 6 PM • Location TBA
The Act Locally Waco book club meets every other month to discuss books about issues that we think are important to Waco. For details about when and where we meet, please click here to subscribe to our email distribution list.