Shop Art Locally Waco!
By Jenuine Poetess
Behold! A season of the giving and receiving of gifts is upon many of us. As we continue to bask in the afterglow of Waco’s creative coup earning the distinction of state designated Cultural Arts District, a perfect way to sustain the arts and those who make the arts, is to commit to buying local art when you make your seasonal gift purchases this year. This blog will take you through some of the opportunities you have to support artists who are living, working, and creating in Waco and McLennan County. I will also share with you several ways that you can give the gift of creative experience to those you cherish making both a memory and a piece of art to enjoy for many years to come!
Where to shop In Person
- December 2-4, 2016 Heritage Square, Downtown Waco
- Artists vendors will be selling work throughout the weekend and on subsequent Saturdays in December
- Event also features Santa house, food vendors, and amusements
- Central Texas Artist Collective will have a booth featuring several artists including Jenuine Artworks, Christy Town, When Brothers Draw, and more!
- December 3, 10, and 17th
- In addition to the selection of organic produce and locally made pantry items, shop the offerings of local artists and craftspeople
- Has a gift shop open Tuesday – Saturday: 10am – 5pm stocked with original and fine art quality prints of local artists
- Or give the gift of art classes – offerings for children and adults year-round!
- Located on the corner of Franklin and 6th street this gallery exhibits selections of a number of artists—a one-stop shop for anything from artwork, jewelry, leather goods, and more!
- Hours are Tuesday-Friday 1:30-5:30 & Saturday 10am-2pm
Where to shop Online
Mirth and Laughter – “Repurposed functional art items to enhance your space.”
- Artist Michelangelo Flores crafts unique artisan lamps from repurposed cigar boxes. Perfect for any library, study, creative space, or cozy corner of your home or office.
- Lamps available in stock or by custom order
- Find on Facebook, Instagram, or Etsy
- Want to remember your favorite person or beastie? Artist Shay MacMorran offers original portraits for any gift occasion
- Order now for holiday gifting
- Contact Shay MacMorran for details and pricing: [email protected]
ClaytimeJester by Sherri – handmade polymer clay keepsakes
- Specializing in unique creations and custom orders
- Available items on Etsy or message directly on Facebook for special orders
- Yellow Chair Press is an indie press which publishes full-length and chapbook poetry collections and is based in Waco
- Yellow Chair Press has a selection of titles available by local and national poets
- Will be selling art prints at the Mistletoe Market
- Check out her live art process online at TwitchTV/xatrioxic Tues-Thurs 10:30am-4:00pm CST
(Christy Town, artist. Photo by: JenuineArtworks)
Where to Create
- Create your own mouth-blown hot glass ornament, $35 each
- Glassblowing events will run from every Friday and Saturday in November and December, up until the weekend before Christmas. You may schedule appointments from 8am – 12pm, and 1:30pm – 5pm.
- To reserve your spot, contact [email protected] or call us at (800) 619-4882
(Photo: Stanton Studios)
- Open Tuesday – Saturdays, various hours no reservation needed!
- For a minimal studio & supply fee, paint a canvas of your own choosing or
- Bring your own item and use the studio’s paints and tools to hand craft your own creation
- Make it a special date, a family outing, or bonding time with those you love!
Painting with a Twist – “Leave your stress at the door”
- Guided group painting sessions available; check website for schedule
- Holiday and everyday theme canvases available to paint
- Enjoy creative time to unwind and bring a bottle of your favorite wine!
- Make a memory with loved ones, create a canvas as a gift, or purchase a gift certificate to give the gift of creating to your favorite artist!
- Open studio for hand-painted pottery, mosaic, glass fusion, and more!
- No reservation required for parties fewer than 5, hours vary Sunday – Saturday
- Make a memory with loved ones, create a gift, or purchase a gift certificate to give the gift of creating to your favorite artist!
- Try your hand at embellished script or polish your calligraphy skills with a new flourish just in time to spruce up your seasonal correspondences
- Next Meeting: Saturday, November 12, 2016 10 a.m. to noon, St. Matthew Lutheran Church in Waco
Jenuine Poetess is an artist, visionary, and community organizer. In 2010, she founded In the Words of Womyn (ITWOW), an international, grass-roots, written and spoken-word arts project with chapters throughout Los Angeles, CA; Waco, TX; and Lebanon. Jenuine is the founder of Waco Poets Society and co-founder of the Central Texas Artist Collective. She writes, organizes, and creates rooted in the fierce conviction that holding intentional space, access, and opportunity for all people to foster their creative health is a matter of justice and is a vital asset to the sustainable thriving of communities. She currently lives and poems in Central Texas where she enjoys finding new ways to disrupt the homeostasis of her city. You can contact her at: [email protected] .
The Act Locally Waco blog publishes posts with a connection to these aspirations for Waco. If you are interested in writing for the Act Locally Waco Blog, please email [email protected] for more information.